Monday, September 14, 2009

Fiji Cultures

Song and dance are very important parts of cultural life in Fiji. These have been passed down through the generations in different ethnic communities and are performed at important life events like births, deaths and marriages.

Traditional Fijian warriors
Traditional Fijian warriors

Religious missionaries from around the world brought hymns to Fiji, which had immediate resonance with the locals. Today beautiful harmonies and bright, airy melodies are features of Fijian singing and have spawned many indigenous musical artists.

Indian bhajans are also popular for ceremonies and though there are many local artists in Hindi language, imports from Bollywood continue to dominate the air waves. Traditional Indian instruments such as the tabla and sitar are still seen played in Fiji.

With increasing urbanisation, this communal life is often only encountered in its true form in rural villages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog.Now kindly thanks the publisher by clicking any (ads) available in the blog.You can use My Google Search Engine as your default search engine.Add Comments to my blog posts and share it via different social networks. Mention the flaws left in posts and let me able to better my blog. Moreover,You can suggest me some related links to my blog posts.Bookmark it,soon you will need it again.I will be personally thankful to you.